Buying fruit and veg in season is always the most economical way to shop.
We always recommend our customers wait a few weeks after an item first pops up for season before purchasing. When all the organics retailers are scrambling to get their hands on a limited amount of produce from a farmer, it drives the price up. If you are patient and wait until the fruit or veg is in more abundance, the price drops, making it a more economical way to shop.
The below What's in season guide is thanks to Australian Organic. As you may notice, the list is a little shorter than usual as many of the winter / spring produce has finished and the summer produce is yet to arrive. Keep your eyes peeled for stone fruits which are just starting to arrive.
Our easy Organic Roast beetroot hommus
This vibrant healthy beet hommus was used in our Organic Meal Deals last week.
- Bunch of baby beets / 3 medium beetroot
- Can chickpeas
- Olive oil
- garlic clove or organic crushed garlic
- Tahini (optional)
- Lemon (juiced)
- Cut the ends off your beets but leave the remainder of the skin intact
- Wrap your beets in foil and drizzle with a little olive oil and salt
- Roast beets in the oven for approx. 30 – 40 mins on 180 degrees or until soft (this will depend on what size beets you use)
- Once roasted allow to cool and then pop in the food processor and blend
- Add one can of drained, washed chickpeas
- Add the juice of one lemon
- Add one clove of crushed garlic
- Blend together in food processor
- Add olive oil whilst the ingredients are blending until it forms a smooth thick paste consistency. If it’s still grainy add a little lemon and oil
- Add salt and pepper to taste
You could also add a mild chilli, cumin or tahini to flavour to your taste, however we didn’t use in our batch as the beetroot flavour was strong enough